What is ISO 14001:2015
ISO 14001:2015 is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system. This system is used to manage environmental aspects, fulfill compliance obligations and addresses risks and opportunities. The standard provides a framework that an organization can follow instead of establishing environmental performance requirements on their own. ISO 14001:2015 is a voluntary standard that an organization can certify to, and that may integrate well other standards such as ISO 9001:2015. This standard can be used in whole or in part to systematically improve environmental management.
Who Should Use ISO 14001
ISO 14001:2015 is intended for use by organizations seeking to manage their environmental responsibilities in a systematic manner that contributes to the environmental pillar of sustainability. This standard is applicable to any organization, regardless of size, type and nature, and applies to the environmental aspects of its activities, products and services that the organization determines it can either control or influence consider a life cycle perspective.
What Are the Benefits of ISO 14001
Some of the main benefits of ISO 14001 certification include:
- Improving resource efficiency
- Reducing waste
- Driving down costs
- Providing assurance that environmental impact is measured
- Gaining competitive advantages in supply chain designs
- Increasing new business opportunities
- Improving overall environmental impact
- Manage environmental obligations with consistency
How Do I Get Started with ISO 14001
When determining how to get started it is important to look at your internal resources. Do you have anyone on your team that knows the standard and can implement its criteria properly? If not, you may want to consider reaching out to an experienced consultant who can assess your organization and systems to determine what is needed for an effective implementation. Contact us.
If you are working towards the standard a copy of ISO 14001:2015 can be purchased here.
For our Massachusetts clients, State funding is available to help with ISO 9001 2015 training.
ISO 14000 Family of Standards
- ISO 14004 – General guidelines on principles, systems and support techniques.
- ISO 14006 – Guidelines for incorporating eco-design.
- ISO 14015 – Environmental assessments of sites and organizations (EASO).
- ISO 14020 – Environmental labels and declarations.
- ISO 14031 – Environmental performance evaluation.
- ISO 14040 – Life cycle assessment.
- ISO 14050 – Vocabulary.
- ISO 14063 – Environmental communication.
- ISO 14064 – Greenhouse gas.
- ISO 19011 – Guidelines for auditing management systems.