What is ISO 27001:2013
ISO 27001:2013 specifies the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining and continually improving an information security management system within the context of the organization. additionally, this standard includes requirements for the assessment and treatment of information security risk tailored to the needs of the organization. the requirements in this standard are intended to be generic and applicable to all organizations, regardless of type, size of nature.
Who Should Use ISO 27001
The ISO 27001:2013 has been designed for use by any organization looking to build the foundations of their security system. Most organizations working under military contracts or with multi-million dollar companies are required to have strong security protections such as those that ISO 27001:2013 provides.
What Are the Benefits of ISO 27001
Some of the main benefits of ISO 27001 certification include:
- The only auditable international standard that defines the requirements of an information security management system
- Demonstrates good security practices
- Improving working relationships and retaining current customers
- Prevents against data breaches and associated costs
- Helps to protect your organization against threats and protects sensitive data
- Designed to meet rigid regulatory requirements such as EU General Data Protection Regulation and Directive on Security of Network and Information Systems
- Improves productivity through risk responsibilities
- Reduces the need for repeated external audits
How Do I Get Started with ISO 27001
When determining how to get started it is important to look at your internal resources. Do you have anyone on your team that knows the standard and can implement its criteria properly? If not, you may want to consider reaching out to an experienced consultant who can assess your organization and systems to determine what is needed for an effective implementation. Contact us.
If you are working towards the standard a copy of ISO 27001:2013 can be purchased here.